Tuesday, 29 May 2012

Design Team Tutorial: Queen Elizabeth II Warhol style by Jaine Drake

In the lead up to the Queens diamond jubilee celebrations I thought I'd share my Jubilee inspired journal pages and the process behind their backgrounds.

Firstly I was greatly inspired by this painting by Andy Warhol called "Queen Elizabeth II".  I wanted to recreate it in my journal in true Warhol style but putting my own slant on it.  



I created two different types of backgrounds, one in water colour and the other using alcohol inks. 


To make the background on the left, take a piece of glossy card stock and two colours of alcohol inks in red and violet, you'll also need a drinking straw.  Drop a small amount of ink onto the card and with the drinking straw, blow the ink about on the card. You need to work fairly quickly and in small areas as the ink dries very quickly. 

After a search on the internet for a suitable image of Queen Elizabeth, I downloaded it to my computer and changed it to black and white.  I re-sized the image and duplicated it 3 more times.  I did this in Photoshop but most photograph manipulating programs will do this. 
Print this out onto a sheet of ink jet printer acetate. Don't worry about the white parts of the image as anything white will just come out transparent. 


Use a Zig 2 Way Glue pen to add glue to the back of the image, add glue to the darker areas of the image but once this glue is dry it's totally transparent so you don't have to worry about seeing it through the transparency. 



To finish off I layered this onto a piece of black card and added some bunting taken from a CD of digital images by Sarah Hurley called Britannia. 


For the other page I used my ZIG Clean Color Real Brush pens but any of the ZIG water based pens will do the same thing.  

Scribble the colour onto an acrylic block or craft mat.  Spray with a little water and swipe a piece of white card through it. Do this as many times as you want until you get the depth of colour you like. 



Print out an image on a sheet of acetate as before.  This time I simply printed one large image.  Glue onto the background with the Zig glue and add some stamped crowns around the image.  I coloured these with my ZIG Wink of Stella pens but sadly it's not easy to capture the sparkle in a photo. A bit of stitching, some bling and more or Sarah Hurley's bunting finish the page. 


I hope you liked my little background tutorial and have a go for yourself. Whatever you do have a good Jubilee celebration. 

Jaine